Wednesday, October 14, 2015

More Flights = More Learning Opportunities

Went back to PA for the weekend and got to fly a couple times. I tried flying at my house because some people wanted to see me fly. Against my better judgement I said yes. Besides being a small area, there are a bunch of trees... So as you can imagine it almost ended in disaster. Thankfully the drone gods smiled on me and I somehow flew through a bunch of branches and landed safely. After that I went to my old elementary school, which is now vacant, and got some great flights in.

I am still noticing a wobble when flying, and it is starting to become a problem. So I started adjusting some settings. I first turned down the roll and pitch full through limit to 45 degrees so the sticks wouldn't be so sensitive. Next I adjusted my PID settings. I turned my attitude Kp value down, and set the Ki setting to slightly below it (set rate Ki and Kd to zero). Unfortunately it was really windy tonight when I tried out the new setting and was getting dark so I crashed and it broke my bottom plate, guess I will have to print that part with a higher infill. I'll have to try to tune this when there is no wind. I also noticed that the rear left motor seems to not spin when all the other motors start spinning. This is a problem since the quad wants to flip when it takes off until the motor spins up to the other motors speed.

So basically I've got some adjustments to make. Sounds like my next flight is going to be a lot of short take offs followed by landings for adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment