Friday, October 9, 2015

Second Flight


Decided to go for a flight on Wednesday after work. Went to a local field (Browning Fields). The weather was great, pretty much zero wind, warm, and sunny. I had two of my props on backwards, oops. I forgot to move the props around with the motors after I changed their mounting orientation. After that quick fix I did a short line of sight flight to make sure nothing else was wrong, with that test passing I set up my FPV gear and started my first flight of the afternoon.

Up until this point I had pretty much only flown FPV in a simulator for about 3 hours, so I had a little experience. My last flight was all line of sight and involved a lot of crashes (the field was also really tiny). So I was a little nervous jumping right into using my FPV goggles, but I am really glad I did. Flying in FPV was soooo much easier than line of sight. All the controls were as you expected (ie you don't have to reverse your controller movements when the quad is flying at you). I had two short 3 minute flights followed by two longer 6 minute flights. On each flight I felt very in control and had zero crashes. Overall a great day.

Some things I noticed were that the yaw control was very very sensitive, and the PID control loop on my flight control was in need of some tuning. Every once in a awhile the quad would start shaking back and forth for a few seconds making it very hard to control. So I think before my next flight I will try to tune the controller a little bit.

Here is a video from one of my flights.


No comments:

Post a Comment